“An attractive and vibrant Community Hub at the centre of our community delivering repair, renewal and regeneration.”
Although the impetus has come from the decision by D&G Council to seek community management or asset transfer of the village hall. As a community development trust our starting point has been community need. Our vision is for an attractive and vibrant Community Hub at the centre of our community delivering repair, renewal and regeneration. This vision has evolved through the market research and consultation with potential partner organisations. We are not at the end of the road, this is just the start of our journey, we will continue to listen, explore and consult and seek ways to deliver a fully inclusive and successful Community Hub that meets the needs of all of our community. We have looked at successful models elsewhere and this has shaped what we believe can be achieved in Portpatrick.
The key principles adopted in developing the vision were:
• Work with established groups.
• Look for ways to build stronger communities
• Identify and look for ways to better meet the need of disadvantaged groups
• Be both outward looking and considerate of local needs
• Promote intergenerational working (working across the generations)
• Identify what needs to be done to improve the building and services
• Look at funding opportunities and opportunities for grant and commercial income to support community initiatives
It is our aim to heal the fractures in our community by encouraging everybody to engage, and to embrace any skills they have to offer, listen to their ideas and find ways to provide support. It has been an exciting journey so far and we hope that you will find something here that you would want to contribute to and help us develop and deliver this exciting opportunity.